Gemstone is a word we hear quite often in our daily lives and some of us even wear it. To explain gemstones clearly, they can be defined as minerals that are exclusively chosen for their durability and beauty. These are then subjected to a cutting and polishing process to be used as ornaments and jewelry for humans. However, there are exceptions to this definition as well. For example, amber and pearl are regarded as precious gemstones but they do not fall into the “minerals” category. They originate organically. Thus, it must be clear that every gemstone has different qualities, and hence, they are used according to those qualities. Keep reading on to find out more about different gemstones and their exclusive qualities and benefits.
List of different gemstones and their qualities
Given below is a list of the most common gemstones you would find along with the different qualities of each of them.
- Amber: As said earlier, Amber is not a true gemstone since it is not a mineral but is sourced organically. Indeed, it is the resin of the oldest pine trees, which gets hardened. This gemstone is renowned as it incredibly includes insects, which can be found inside this gemstone. For over 10,000 years, people have been making jewelry using amber and it is true that it is one of the first gem materials to be used.
- Amethyst: Crystalline quartz or amethyst can be found in a range of colors- from deep reddish-purple to pale lilac. It has a relatively high hardness of 7 which makes this gemstone a good facet-able gem for all kinds of jewelry. Lower grades of this gem material are cut and carved to be used as beads and other ornamental pieces.
- Diamond: Diamond surely does not need any introduction. It is one gemstone that has been romanticized for quite a while now and also one of the few gemstones that have been so heavily marketed. You would probably know it is one of the hardest substances found on Earth and hence, this makes it an excellent gemstone.
- Emerald: Emerald at present, is synonymous with the color green and this is not just a phenomenon of today. Since ancient times, emerald was associated with green. This member of the beryl family has been rightly placed in the “Big Four” gems category which includes diamond, sapphire, and ruby.
- Jadeite: Two distinct minerals are commonly known as jade and one of those is the jadeite gemstone. This variety of jade is rarer and harder in its substance. “Imperial jade” is the rich emerald green jadeite that has a high value. One can also find durable jadeite in a range of colors and this gemstone is the best choice for cabochons and intricate carvings.
- Moonstone: This gemstone can be found all over the globe and is prized for its blue to white adularescence. The adularescence can be defined as a cloudly sheen resembling moonlight. Even if this gemstone is rather fragile, it is a popular choice for making jewelry. The value of the moonstone increases when the body of the gem is more transparent with a high blue adularescence.
- Opal: Opals are in themselves, a class of gemstones. As a particular species, opal is more unique than one could imagine. This can be proved by the fact that this gemstone has its own distinctive vocabulary. More so than any other gemstone, every opal stone is distinctly individual. Besides that, opals are quite delicate and hence should be worn carefully.
- Pearl: As mentioned earlier, this gemstone is yet another exception to the standard definition of a gemstone as it is sourced organically. However, a pearl is the only gemstone that is found inside living creatures. They can be distinguished between freshwater and seawater pearls. Since pearls do not occur very commonly in nature nowadays, they are now cultivated. They need special care but there is also a special appeal for pearl jewelry.
- Ruby: Ruby is one of the most coveted traditional jewelry gemstones as rubies are extremely durable. The colors of ruby, that is red, can reach quite high levels of saturation. Some of the most expensive gemstones are fine-quality rubies. Prices for these can go up to $1000000 per carat. Rubies are also subjected to more treatments than any other gemstone.
- Sapphire: Sapphire is one gemstone that most people, even ones who dont study gemology, have found quite intriguing. The sapphire’s pure blue colours and exceptional durability of this gem of the conundrum family makes for an excellent gemstone. You will be interested to know that not all sapphires are blue. They can be found in every color of the rainbow except in the color red.
All gemstones have an intriguing factor to them that makes them appealing to make jewelry from. However, not all gemstones can be used to make jewelry as they might be too delicate to wear. In any case, if you are searching for unique gemstone jewelry, you must check out the website of jewelkotawala.com for we have a range of the most amazing gemstone jewelry- from rings, to earrings to jewelry sets. You can get yourself the best jewelry ever and not just gemstone jewelry. We specialize in gold and silver jewelry as well. Since we are also wholesale suppliers and distributors of gold jewelry, you can buy gold ornaments in bulk from us as well.